Chemicals, Materials and Toxicology Register of Specialists
Applications are open for experts wishing to join the Office for Product Safety and Standards Register of Specialists (OPSS RoS)
Background to OPSS:
The Office for Product Safety and Standards is a part of the Department for Business and Trade, and our purpose is to make regulation work so that it protects people and enables businesses to understand their obligations.
- the national regulator for all consumer products, except for vehicles, medicine and food.
- the national regulator for legal metrology, ensuring weighing and measuring instruments are accurate and reliable.
- lead Government policy on product safety, metrology, hallmarking and market surveillance, and are responsible for product safety at our borders.
- lead standards and accreditation policy across Government, working with the British Standards Institution and the United Kingdom Accreditation Service, providing benchmarks for the manufacture of safe products and assuring the quality of testing, calibration and certification services.
- sponsor the British Hallmarking Council.
OPSS is seeking to appoint members to its Chemicals, Materials and Toxicology Register of Specialists. We continue to need a strong body of experts to provide advice, peer review and appraisal of research questions, proposals, and outputs, and other short pieces of research, across our remit and across the natural analytical sciences.
As a member of the Register, your work will contribute directly towards ensuring the safety of consumer products, benefiting UK consumers and the effective, evidence-based regulation of these products.
Experts will be selected based on their experience and ability to provide scientific evidence, analysis or advice across OPSS’s remit in:
- Chemical and toxicological risk assessment for cosmetic products, toys, childcare articles and textile fibres (naming, labelling and marking of textiles).
- Ad hoc chemical advice on product safety issues which may impact human health.
- Chemicals research support which may include question design, proposal appraisal, rapid evidence reviews, report evaluation/peer review, quality assurance and risk analysis.
- Guidance and technical support on the development and validation of analytical test methods for the determination of chemicals in consumer products.
The call for specialists is ongoing and there is currently no deadline by which applications must be submitted.
For more information on the Register of Specialists including, the application and selection process, and how the OPSS handles your data, please read the Register of Specialists Information Pack.