Protecting people and places
We run the regulatory system for product safety and standards in the UK. Our purpose is to make regulation work, protect people and help businesses understand their obligations. We’re also part of the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy.
Now is an exciting time to join us – we’re expanding our organisation and increasing our portfolio of work and responsibilities. Meanwhile, our 300+ talented professionals are putting the UK’s ambitious industrial strategy into practice, simplifying regulation and providing expert advice and guidance.
For consumers, we:
- provide information to protect them from unsafe products
- report the latest product safety updates, actions and recalls
- improve the legal framework that defines product safety and standards for weighing and measuring equipment
- oversee the independent testing of gas and electricity meters
For businesses, we:
- help them comply with regulations
- lead and co-ordinate product safety, legal measuring standards and hallmarking of regulatory systems
- enforce technical, environmental and product legislation
- provide certification and testing services for weighing and measurement equipment
For regulators, we:
- promote best practice
- lead and co-ordinate the local regulation of product safety and legal measuring standards
We also gain insights from our work with other government bodies, regulators, business and consumers, sharing our expertise at home and internationally.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles. We embrace diversity and promote equality of opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for people with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We are inclusive:
We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible and recognise how important inclusivity is to achieve the best outcomes. We hope to attract applications from all underrepresented groups.
Our interview panels are held virtually at present in line with the Government’s Coronavirus guidelines. When we require recruitment panels to be held face to face, we will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. We will aim to accommodate all reasonable adjustments we are made aware of. Please contact us to request this.