Protecting people and places
We run the regulatory system for product safety and standards in the UK. Our purpose is to make regulation work, protect people and help businesses understand their obligations.
We’re also part of the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy. Now is a particularly exciting time to join us – we’re expanding our organisation and increasing our portfolio of work and responsibilities. Meanwhile, our 300+ talented professionals are putting the UK’s ambitious industrial strategy into practice, simplifying regulation and providing expert advice and guidance.
For consumers, we:
- provide information to protect them from unsafe products
- report the latest product safety updates, actions and recalls
- improve the legal framework that defines product safety and standards for weighing and measuring equipment
- oversee the independent testing of gas and electricity meters
For businesses, we:
- help them comply with regulations
- lead and co-ordinate product safety, legal measuring standards and hallmarking of regulatory systems
- enforce technical, environmental and product legislation
- provide certification and testing services for weighing and measurement equipment
For regulators, we:
- promote best practice
- lead and co-ordinate the local regulation of product safety and legal measuring standards
We also gain insights from our work with other government bodies, regulators, business and consumers, sharing our expertise at home and internationally.